Welcome to St. David's
Growing and deepening our Spiritual Lives in an Affirming and Inclusive Community
DECEMBER 10, 2017
ADVENT OF Peace
VALUE OF THE MONTH FOR DECEMBER:
Worship Service presided over by Alison Demeter and Faith Questers
2017 ADVENT INITIATIVES AND EVENTS
The Giving Tree: Remember to pick up a giving tree gift tag with a request for a gift for one of the social organizations we are sponsoring this year: The Sheldon Kennedy Centre and The Magic of Christmas. This year we have welcomed guest speakers from the Child Life Program at the Sheldon Kennedy Centre, Cathy Rigby from the POST Program and Scott Perley from The Magic of Christmas. Poinsettias Donations: Beginning on Sunday, November 19 there has been a table in the foyer to which people have been making a donation to the flower fund in memory of a loved one, or in celebration of a person or event. Our church is ready for Christmas, thanks to all the folks who joined Alison on Saturday, Nov. 25 to decorate. The Blue Christmas Service will be held on Friday evening December 15, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. This meditative service honors the challenges of experiencing the Christmas season while living with difficult life events.
Plan to attend the 10:00 a.m. service on December 17, 2017 for Lessons, Carols and Communion on the third Sunday of Advent.
FOOD BANK REQUEST – Please bring items for the Food Bank to our White Gift Service on December 10th.
- EVENING COMPLINE SERVICE - December 10 at 7:00 p.m. This wondrous service will bring peace to you during the busy Christmas season. There will be an organ recital prior to the Compline Service.
Advent Community Brunch – December 10 at 11:15 am: Please mark your calendar to attend our Annual Advent Brunch following worship on December 10. Tickets will be on sale in the Foyer December 10th, if you don't have yours already.
- 2018 EASTER TRIP TO GUATEMALA: ACTS, St. David's Adult Spiritual Development Committee, is offering a new possibility for St. Davidians and friends to take an active role in outreach and spiritual development through the Guatemala Stove Project. Since 2008, Heather and Bill Chubb-Way and family have enthusiastically shared their story upon each of their four returns from Guatemala where they helped install ceramic stoves (costing less than $150 each) in the homes of the mountain people of Guatemala. The Hands and Hearts Foundation provide all the logistics to volunteers who come from Canada and whose volunteer offering is matched by the government of Canada and is, therefore, tax deductible.
Heather and Bill are planning on their fifth visit to Guatemala from March 21, 2018 - April 6, 2018 and they would be delighted to act as hosts to a contingent of volunteers from St. David's. They are hoping to bring together at least 12 people and to date, six folks have signed up. The trip down and accommodation for two weeks will cost a little over $3000 each and is tax deductible, as mentioned above. Questions and inquiries will be fielded by ACTS committee members and/or Heather and Bill Chubb-Way. http://handsandheartsfoundation.org/about-us.htm http://www.heartshands.ca/hearts_hands_events.html
- DECEMBER 14, 2017: MARK THE DATE on your calendar for the next Coffee and Muffin Ministry on Thursday, beginning at 7:00 a.m. Join us for great food, hot and cold beverages and awesome conversation.
- SACRED LEADER AT SDUC: If you are interested in serving on a team, please contact the church office. Check out Sacred Service Ministry on the Ministries page for more information. NOVEMBER TEAM under the leadership of Betty Smith (with May team on standby) started their month on November 5, 2017 and they did an amazing job. DECEMBER'S TEAM is led by Deb Charnuski. Go, team, go!
- Remember loved ones or joyous occasions all year with donations to the Flower Fund. Dedications are placed in the worship folder. Flowers Sunday morning were in memory of Karen Follett by her family. As well, if anyone has celebrations or events they wish to have acknowledged in the worship folder, newsletter or on our webpage, please contact the office administrator at the church office at 403 284 2276 or email@example.com no later than Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- PASTORAL CARE: If you have any pastoral concerns about yourself or others, please contact Kelley Warner at the church office. If you know someone who is in long term care, in hospital or is in need of a visit, please contact the office.
- PRAYER CONCERNS The prayer chain is committed to praying for you in times of crisis for a period of 30 days. Please contact the office or one of the ministers.
- Interested in learning more about the events going on at St. David’s, and to share with your friends? Like us on Facebook at SDUC .