Welcome to St. David's
Growing and deepening our Spiritual Lives in an Affirming and Inclusive Community
"REBIRTH" -- PASTORAL CARE MINISTRY
Value of the Month
APRIL 23, 2017 EASTER SUNDAY
Rev. Peggy McDonagh and Rev. Kelley Warner
Sacred Service by the APRIL Team: Deb Charnuski and Margaret Pellicci co-leaders
- NEWSLETTER APRIL 16, 2017: Check out the newsletter for APRIL 16, found under APRIL News.
- Remember loved ones or joyous occasions all year with donations to the Flower Fund. Dedications are placed in the worship folder. As well, if anyone has celebrations or events they with to have acknowledged in the worship folder, newsletter or on our webpage, please contact the office administrator at the church office at 403 284 2276 or firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. This morning, our chancel was enhanced by the potted yellow, white and mauve flowers placed under our hanging cross and, following the service, will brighten the homes of the families who remembered their loved ones at this time with flower donations.
- EASTER WEEK 2017
Maundy Thursday Observance, April 13, 2017, 6:00 p.m. St. David's Community came together to share a Potluck Supper and Communion on Thursday evening. Dressed in robes and appropriate head gear, a troupe of familiar actors consisting of adults and children reenacted the "Last Supper" and Alison along with Kelley led us through a special Communion service and "Shalom" song to remind us of Jesus' command to his disciples that they should love and service one another.
Good Friday Contemplative Worship, April 14 at 10:00 a.m. was a very special service of story and song led by Rev. Peggy, Rev. Kelley and Alison, Ministry of Families.
Easter Sunday, April 16, a wonderful celebration of rebirth and renewal brought together a string, reed and percussion ensemble, the "Arise" dancers as well as a large and enthusiastic combined choir to lead in the most holy day of the Christian calendar. A resounding rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus brought the service to a close as members of the congregation joined with the choir. Long lines of congregants placed flowers on the cross as they processed to the front of the church and later, Hot Cross Buns were served in the T.M.Room and enjoyed by everyone gathered to mark Easter and the beginning of a new church year.
For Christians the message of Easter is that Jesus is risen, he is risen indeed. The declaration that Jesus is risen is a way of proclaiming that he had been rejected by the Jewish authorities and executed by the Roman authorities as a threat to the Roman Empire and was vindicated by God. For the early Christians, Jesus rose again in their hearts and they committed their lives to a ministry in which justice was pursued, the oppressed were accepted, the poor received care, and God’s love was lived.
"When love awakens in your life, in the night of your heart, it is like the dawn breaking within you. When love awakens in your life, it is like a rebirth, a new beginning." (Celtic spiritualist John O"Donohue)
- AFFIRMING MINISTRY: On Sunday April 30th we are pleased to welcome performers from Hillhurst United's Coming Out In Faith event. We have 3 hilarious, stunning, heartbreaking, and honest performers who are sharing their true personal stories about how faith has intersected with their sexuality and gender identity. All are welcome to hear, support, and be moved.
- PASTORAL CARE: If you have any pastoral concerns about yourself or others, please contact Kelley Warner at the church office. If you know someone who is in long term care, in hospital or is in need of a visit, please contact the office.
- PRAYER CONCERNS The prayer chain is committed to praying for you in times of crisis for a period of 30 days. Please contact the office or one of the ministers.
Check out the great events coming up.