Welcome to St. David's
Growing and deepening our Spiritual Lives in an Affirming and Inclusive Community
Value of the Month
MARCH 26, 2017
Rev. Peggy McDonagh and Rev. Kelley Warner
Sacred Service by the March Team: Leader Sally Hodges
- MINISTRY OF FAMILIES: shared in a covenanting service on Sunday morning with Nooshin, Trent and Abby. Abby McLaren is our faithful nursery caregiver Sunday mornings while Nooshin Esmaeili and Trent Burke will be working with the children in Faith Quest.
- NEWSLETTER MARCH 19: Check out the newsletter for March 19, found under March News.
- EASTER WEEK
Maundy Thursday Observance, April 13, 2017, 6:00 p.m. Potluck Supper and Communion
The word “Maundy” is derived from the Latin word for “command.” The “Maundy” in Maundy Thursday refers to the command Jesus gave to the disciples that they should love and serve one another. Maundy Thursday, also known as “Holy Thursday” is the Thursday of passion week, the day before Good Friday. Maundy Thursday is the name given to the day on which Jesus celebrated the Passover with His disciples, later known as the Last Supper. Some Christian churches observe a special Communion service on Maundy Thursday in memory of Jesus’ last meal with his disciples. Communion was not again shared until long after Jesus’ death when the disciples began to move out of their grief and experience Jesus’ presence among them in them, life-giving ways.
On Thursday, APRIL 13 in community we will share a meal together in the same spirit that Jesus did with his disciples. Following supper we will break bread and drink for the cup in remembrance of how Jesus’ inclusive table fellowship.
Good Friday Contemplative Worship, April 14 at 10:00 a.m.
Easter Sunday, April 16 join us for a wonderful celebration of rebirth and renewal.
“Long before her last name was Day, Easter was the goddess of the dawn who arose in the East. She was also the goddess of fertility whose blessing was especially invoked at the spring equinox when planting was getting under way. She was so important that centuries later Christians in Germany and England kept her name for the celebration of the crucifixion/resurrection of Jesus, Easter Day.”
For Christians the message of Easter is that Jesus is risen, he is risen indeed. The declaration that Jesus is risen is a way of proclaiming that he had been rejected by the Jewish authorities and executed by the Roman authorities as a threat to the Roman Empire and was vindicated by God. For the early Christians, Jesus rose again in their hearts and they committed their lives to a ministry in which justice was pursued, the oppressed were accepted, the poor received care, and God’s love was lived.
- SACRED SERVICE MINISTRY: Follow the development and growth of our Sacred Service Ministry Teams - a program launched in September, 2016 - on our MINISTRIES page. Team Two are sharing in a potluck at 6pm on Thursday, March 23rd while Team Twelve are gathering after church on Sunday, March 26 for their get-together. Ever Onward!!
- PASTORAL CARE: If you have any pastoral concerns about yourself or others, please contact Kelley Warner at the church office. If you know someone who is in long term care, in hospital or is in need of a visit, please contact the office.
- PRAYER CONCERNS The prayer chain is committed to praying for you in times of crisis for a period of 30 days. Please contact the office or one of the ministers.