Welcome to St. David's
Growing and deepening our Spiritual Lives in an Affirming and Inclusive Community
NOVEMBER 19, 2017
VALUE OF THE MONTH FOR NOVEMBER:
Worship Service presided over by Rev. Peggy McDonagh and Rev. Kelley Warner
- 2018 EASTER TRIP TO GUATEMALA: ACTS, St. David's Adult Spiritual Development Committee, is offering a new possibility for St. Davidians and friends to take an active role in outreach and spiritual development through the Guatemala Stove Project. Since 2008, Heather and Bill Chubb-Way and family have enthusiastically shared their story upon each of their four returns from Guatemala where they helped install ceramic stoves (costing less than $150 each) in the homes of the mountain people of Guatemala. The Hands and Hearts Foundation provide all the logistics to volunteers who come from Canada and whose volunteer offering is matched by the government of Canada and is, therefore, tax deductible.
Heather and Bill are planning on their fifth visit to Guatemala from March 22, 2018 - April 6, 2018 and they would be delighted to act as hosts to a contingent of volunteers from St. David's. They are hoping to bring together at least 12 people and to date, six folks have signed up. The trip down and accommodation for two weeks will cost a little over $3000 each and is tax deductible, as mentioned above. Questions and inquiries will be fielded by ACTS committee members and/or Heather and Bill Chubb-Way. "The Guatemala Stove Project (GSP), is a registered Canadian charity (#871977617 RR0001) that raises funds and provides volunteers for the building of masonry cookstoves in Guatemala's Altiplano (Western Highlands). The Guatemala Stove Project works in partnership with CEDEC (Centro De Estudios Para El Desarrollo Y La Cooperacion), a non profit indigenous group from Quetzaltenango (Xela) Guatemala. CEDEC and the Guatemala Stove Project work with local women's groups to identify the families who are in need of a stove. Since 1999 the Guatemala Stove Project has built over 3000 stoves." - Wikipedia For further details, click the following links: http://handsandheartsfoundation.org/about-us.htm http://www.heartshands.ca/hearts_hands_events.html
- FRIENDSHIP CLUB members and friends: The annual Christmas Party will be held at Confederation Park Activity Centre on Friday, December 1, 2017. This is a grand evening. Tickets will be going on sale this month. Make sure to pick up your tickets.
- The CHAMELEON DRAMA GROUP is adding final touches to their play under the direction of Janice Rider. This week's rehearsals are Friday night at 5:30 and Saturday at 5:45 p.m. Their performance will follow service on Sunday, November 19, 2017. Their production, "Nearest Neighbours," involves a host of actors. Visit the DRAMA GROUP MINISTRY PAGE for more details (or the NEWS Page).
- NOVEMBER 16, 2016: It's time for November's Coffee and Muffin Ministry on Thursday, beginning at 7:00 a.m. Join us for great food, hot and cold beverages and awesome conversation.
2017 ADVENT INITIATIVES AND EVENTS
The Giving Tree: Starting Sunday, November 19 people can pick up a giving tree gift tag with a request for a gift for one of the social organizations we are sponsoring this year: The Sheldon Kennedy Centre and The Magic of Christmas. This year we welcome a guest speaker from the Child Life Program at the Sheldon Kennedy Centre and Cathy Rigby from the POST Program. We welcome as well Scott Perley from The Magic of Christmas. Poinsettias Donations: Beginning on Sunday, November 19 there will be a table in the foyer to which people can go to make a donation to the flower fund in memory of a loved one, or in celebration of a person or event. Advent/Christmas Decorating Event: On Saturday November 25 people are invited to the church to help prepare for the Advent and Christmas seasons. The event will begin at 11:30 a.m. with a Pizza Lunch at 12:00 noon. Decorating the TM Room, the Foyer, and the Chancel, balcony etc., takes a little time but with many hands the work can be accomplished much more quickly. This is a fun community event for the whole family, whatever your family looks like. Please come and contribute to the transformation of our church to reflect the holy and inspiring seasons of Advent and Christmas. If you wish to attend please contact Alison or Peggy and let her know what type of Pizza and the number of slices you might like. FOOD BANK REQUEST – Please bring items for the Food Bank to our White Gift Service on December 10th. Advent Community Brunch – December 10 at 11:15 am: Please mark your calendar to attend our Annual Advent Brunch following worship on December 10. Tickets will be on sale in the Foyer on November 26, December 3 and 10th.
- SACRED LEADER AT SDUC: If you are interested in serving on a team, please contact the church office. Check out Sacred Service Ministry on the Ministries page for more information. NOVEMBER TEAM under the leadership of Betty Smith (with May team on standby) started their month on November 5, 2017.
- Remember loved ones or joyous occasions all year with donations to the Flower Fund. Dedications are placed in the worship folder. Flowers Sunday morning were in memory of Thelma Young. As well, if anyone has celebrations or events they wish to have acknowledged in the worship folder, newsletter or on our webpage, please contact the office administrator at the church office at 403 284 2276 or firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- PASTORAL CARE: If you have any pastoral concerns about yourself or others, please contact Kelley Warner at the church office. If you know someone who is in long term care, in hospital or is in need of a visit, please contact the office.
- PRAYER CONCERNS The prayer chain is committed to praying for you in times of crisis for a period of 30 days. Please contact the office or one of the ministers.
- Interested in learning more about the events going on at St. David’s, and to share with your friends? Like us on Facebook at SDUC .
Check out the great events coming up.